Monday, April 9, 2012

We'd like somewhere to live, no lease, furnished, etc!

Once we were set in Salem, VA mode and knew where the heck Brew would be living the next 5 months, my job the two days before he arrived was to find him an apartment. So, I started to call all the numbers the Red Sox gave us for living situations. FAIL! They all either needed a very secure long lease or were ridiculously priced. After about 200 phone calls, I needed to gather my info, so I made an excel spreadsheet of the name, distance to field, furnished or not, price, # of rooms, lease term, deposits, etc. Much easier now! I called several extended stays, but the problem with those are when you keep checking in and out, they cant secure a room for you. Not to mention most seemed shady. Its kind of ridiculous when you think that these guys are on the road on hotels for half the month, so only need somewhere to live 12-15 days a month. When you have to pay for furniture, utilities, rent, etc. Lame! No host families are in Salem, VA which is crazy to me since AA and AAA have host families. I guess it just varies town to town. Several wives who were in Salem in the past tried to help me as much as they could and gave me people they knew to call. Very helpful group of ladies!! I heard all types of great things about Salem which made me feel much better about the unknown.
I found an apartment in Roanoke which was about $1,600 furnished with Utilities (some) but they needed a 5 month firm lease. Grrrrr! I should know better being in this business. Just thought we were an exception! =) Thankfully, Brew found two guys who also still needed an apartment. So we went with the deal! Three bedroom, so they each get their own room, fully furnished, utilities but no cable or internet for $1,600. Thats about $530 each plus I set them up cable and internet for about $100 on top of that. Much better deal than an extended stay and I feel better knowing he can feel somewhat "settled" for the next 5 months while he is away from his home.
After his 17 hour drive from Ft Meyers, The guys are now all moved in! The apartment looks spacious and great for them. Although a few cleaning issues they are getting sorted out but all in all, I can breathe knowing one more thing is off the list to make this a smooth season! The only sucky part is we do have a 5 month lease, so during the season if something happens to one of the guys, and gets moved or whatever may happen the other two are fully responsible. Oh well! You take what you can get!

1 comment:

  1. I am a new follower

    www.kellysavenue.com
    www.kellysavenuedesigns.com

    ReplyDelete