Friday, April 20, 2012

My beloved Pitcher

So the season has started, the Salem Red Sox are 13 games down and Brew has pitched in 7.2 innings as a reliever. His first game was a rough start, naturally as an actual game in ages and the first time with a new team, new field, etc I'm sure was nerve wrecking! He hit a few guys and well you know how that goes, they get walked. Bummer. Since then though, he has done great.

After the game I asked him if he asked if the guys were okay. He said they don't do that! Didn't you learn in Kindergarten to say sorry and ask if someone you hurt is okay? I guess not. Baseball boys!

Every night I rush home to listen Evan Lepler, "The voice of the Salem Red Sox" and his play by plays of the game. Its hard when I don't know when Brew is going to pitch and I never want to miss it. I used to be able to always watch the home games, but they don't offer that there. (Hint hint). I usually get home by the 5th ish inning if I am lucky. Usually though its JUST in time to tune in. The poor kids get a lot of "shhhhh" when he is on the mound. But they like listening to! Although lately I really need to try to not listen every night. I don't get anything done. Luckily, tonight's Friday and I know he wont pitch tonight since he did last night..so ill just check a few tweets to get score updates.

A few quotes about my man so far....

"Ruben Flores spun a perfect eighth inning for the Sox"

Then the Salem Red Sox had their first Shutout of the season!! "Ruben Flores slammed the door shut in Salem's dominating 5-0 victory over Lynchburg on Monday night at LewisGale Field" "He emerged and retired six of the seven batters he faced to complete the evening. He hit a batter with two outs in the eighth, but struck out the final two batters of the game."

Then last night, #PitchDay, he "an inherited runner scored, Flores held the Nationals offense at bay over the final inning and two-thirds"

Between you and me, I think inheriting a runner is unpleasant for both pitchers! In this situation he came into the inning after it started and there was already a runner on first and third base. So he really was in a no win situation. Nevertheless, he did a great job!

So far as of today, he has given up 3 runs in 7.2 innings, 10 strikeouts, with an ERA of 3.52.

Oh and he is number 28! He called me when he got there and had a few to choose from still. We went with 28! He turns 28 this year in May so I thought it would be a lucky number, lucky year PLUS its one of my Absolute always numbers to bet on in Roulette! ( I dabble...) So that alone was a no brainer!

This is his field before the Home Opener! So green!

So early in the season. Miss my husband but excited for the rest of the season!

Proud Wifey!


No comments:

Post a Comment