Monday, April 9, 2012

How Spring training ended

I have been SO swamped with the girls, work and finding Brew an apartment . I finally have a few moments to reflect on the end of Spring training events. Phew! First off, ST FLEW by! Does it feel like that for anyone else? Seriously it came and went. I secretly hope the Season goes by just as fast, although I know Brew is doing what he loves. A girl can hope!
The last few days of ST were very stressfull. Im a detailed planner by nature. Excel spreadsheets and all. So not being able to find him an apartment or who he was going to live with, if any was stressing me out. The guys would go in every morning those last few days, look at the rosters and see if any changes were made. Every morning, super early since Im still 3 hours behind, id wait for his text for the news. Same roster. Phew! In the meantime, he backed up 4 big league games, although never ended up pitching. So that was positive news. At least in my mind, got his name out there. Two days before he was set to leave with everyone else, I woke up to a very unhappy husbands text....Of course I woke up three hours earlier than normal since I couldnt sleep now at that point. Had very little info, as by that time, he was on the field. The worst feeling is when your husband is 100% unavailable and you know he needs you and you cant even help or reply or talk about it for HOURS! I felt so helpless. When we finally did talk, they moved several other guys down, trickle effect again, and many more got released. In doing this, he was moved down to the High A Roster. The last day....after doing so well in ST. To make matters worse, they held him back two days after that to back up the big league games again. Salt to the wound much! So while all the other guys were arriving, he was not sure who he would live with or where. See, the team pays for a hotel for 3 days max once players arrive. So they have that time, and that time only to find somewhere to live. While everyone else, aside from a very small handful was already doing this, he was delayed a few days until he was done with the games, and drove the 17 hours there. Oh and I had no idea where high A was. We never even thought it was an option, so we never looked...Salem, VA. Salem, VA? Where the heck is that?!! Im sure Southwest Airlines doesn not fly there!!!!
So that entire day and that day only, I knew my husband was hurting, mad, angry, etc. And that made me hurt. I cried for him...hard. I felt so helpless. But with the help of my baseball wives and my family...by the end of the day, I called him and said ,"Listen, this is it, it is what it is, your a great player, a great guy, and we dont need a roster to tell you that. I understand your angry, mad and confused, and your allowed that, but you have got to arrive there with a positive attitude and your game on. You can't go there worrying about where your at, how you got there or when your moving up or the next level. " I explained to him, he needs  to just go and we need to be thankful he still broke camp with a team, any team which gives hope. Hope is all we need, and a little faith that this is Gods plan.  I told him to just play like he did last year, for his love of the game and thats it. So by the next morning, we dried up the tears, and moved on. This was a new team, a new organization and a new, exciting Journey.
Here we come Salem, Virgina! Home of the Salem Red Sox!

No comments:

Post a Comment