Thursday, March 28, 2013

Real life job...life after baseball

So after months of school to prepare for his EMT Certification, fire department, a job in the government etc since we are in our "life after baseball" stage, Brew started a new job this week with Omega Morgan after we returned from our Spring Break trip in Lake Havasu.
 
A friend of his who works for the company has been trying to bring him on board for awhile. They are originally based in Portland then moved into Seattle and now just moved into Phoenix, but still mainly based in the Pacific Northwest! The market here for them is new but they have a lot of potential and work here which is great. They are a large scale moving and shipping company. They build the crates, shipping modules, etc for the jobs too. They ship bridges, planes, expensive large equipment, literally big jobs! He will travel all over eventually for jobs that require their services. He is excited to be with them and already exhausted! He left our trip early on my birthday Monday since they needed him to go to Tuscon on Tuesday. Since then he has only had a few days in but enjoys the daily change so far.
 
I had to giggle and mention this because I thought it was so funny. So some time this weekend we were talking about 4th of July and how its always on of my favorites and he finally gets to go for the first time ever in our relationship with us to Prescott for the 4th. He's like what day is it, I replied with Thursday. Its a holiday we all have it off, he goes well I dint have Friday off. I said "Babe its months away you can ask for it off, this is real life, a real job, not baseball". He replied with, "Oh wow, well ill do that." I have to explain why this is so funny to me. In baseball, during  the season, there are no days off, you have no PTO time, no vacation or sick time, nothing. You have a random day off maybe 2 or 3 days a month but that's it. If you asked for a day off other than those days, they'd look at you like you were insane and probably send you home! You can get up to 3 days off usually for a big event or family event, childbirth, wedding, etc. Only things like that but that's it for the whole season! So to be in real life, normal life, and actually have a real job, schedule, weekends off, and be able to ask for a vacation or a day off is so new to him. I just have to laugh at how innocent he is and new to this real life he is in. Even tho he has experienced all of those new things with me and my career, its new for him to actually be in it himself.
 
Anyway, Omega Morgan is a great company with all the perks for him and I am so excited for his future! The future is still unknown and this is still very new to him and some days are better than others, but I trust that there are plans bigger than we can understand right now and that keeps me positive! I am still just super excited to have him home for good!
 
On another note, I wish all of our friends safe travels as Spring Training is ending and everyone is parting ways to their new homes for the season!
 
xoxo - Autumn

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I know it will be so much fun having him with you in the summers now! And I am so glad he seems to be acclimating to life after baseball so well!

    ReplyDelete