Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Goodbye Red Sox

A lot of people are texting me, emailing me, etc asking lots of questions. This post will be easier to explain it all. My tears are all dried up for today. After being on the DL since July 1st, my husband has been working so hard on getting his elbow better. Monday he threw for the first time, 45 feet and felt good, and yesterday he threw again at 60 ft. The trainers and coaches said they were impressed he is doing so well and feels good only on the second day. So needless to say, from my post a few days ago, we were very excited. However, he still needed to continue throwing and working up to 120 feet to work his way back to live pitching on the mound. We felt like we were on the right track again. Today, Brew was released from the Boston Red Sox. They told him they picked up so many guys in the draft there wasn't any roster room for him now that he is getting better and since he had such a great first half of the season, the best thing they could do for him now is release him and he has a good chance of getting picked back up by another team.

Well we know with 3 weeks left of the season that chance is very very slim, especially because he still needs to work on his arm and throw a few more weeks. So now he is on his 3 day drive home and will be home by Saturday, which of course I can't wait to see him since I haven't in so long. I miss him so much, but this isn't how I wanted to him to come home so badly. Heartbroken, defeated, and let down. In 8+ years of Professional baseball he has never been released. Its definitely normal to release guys who have season ending injuries, we, just like with our bank account fraud, never thought it would happen to us. Ive learned how dirty baseball is over the years. It is definitely a political business. There is little to do sometimes with talent it seems. Not that the players aren't talented, of course they are. Immensely! The odds of a player getting drafted out of high school or college. are crazy but lesson each year you play another year in the minors and of course until you get to the majors, so there is obviously major talent there, but I've definitely learned the dirty side of baseball, the side few people tell you which is fine but wow...its mostly politics. So after hours of tears, and trying to support my husband and bring his spirits up, and over 30 baseball wives messaging me, tweeting me and emailing me, I feel immense support and we are now just trying to breathe and take it all in. 

His chances of getting picked up in the off season, with his numbers from last year and this year are great, and of course I hope for his sake, the phone rings for him before Spring. He could even play fall or winter ball. He has worked his whole life for this since he was little, gave up school, gave up everything to play when he was drafted and it is all he has ever done or known. His heart is still in this game, and I know his future will still involve baseball if he's on the mound, in a coaches box, or scouting or whatever it is. His dreams are too close. So for now, he comes home, he works on his arm, throws every day, works out and stays in baseball shape so he is ready in case he gets a call, and meanwhile, we work on plan B, in which i'll be by his side every step of the way with whatever he decides. So now Ill pack away all my Red Sox gear in the back of my closet along with the Brewers and Mariners gear that's in there and never worn anymore, until we have a new favorite team to support. Of course I have a few I'd LOVE for him to play for! 

Naturally, I was panicked about what the future holds, since we have so much else going on right now. Thankfully, we have always had a plan B, with kids and getting older, we need to. So, If this is where playing ends, I know it will take a long time to get used to, and a lot of tears in between while he figures out where else he fits in the world, but I am proud of how far he has come and how long he made it. I know God has a plan for him. I know it will be bigger and better than this. My husband is a very faithful and patient man who has a good relationship with God so I know those two have something planned and Brew just doesn't know its in the works yet. I can only pray that he finds that out soon. I believe in blessings in disguise.




No comments:

Post a Comment