Monday, May 28, 2012

One year ago today & Why I appreciate the diamond


It was Memorial day weekend and I was excited to go visit Brew for the weekend. The day started out super early as I got on my flight to Chicago and ended up to my final destination of Cleveland. I was so excited to spend time with him and go to a few of his games. He picked me up from the airport, took me to his apartment there, showed me around and had to head to the field.
I spent the next few hours resting and driving around beautiful neighborhoods. Around game time I left for the field to watch him play. It started to sprinkle on and off but it wasnt too bad yet. He pitched two scoreless innings strike out after strike out. I was so proud of him. Everyone was saying how great he was. They won the game and we headed off to dinner. He was in a great mood! All throughout dinner he kept smiling and was being very silly. I assumed he was just thrilled to see me. =)
At this point it was very late around 11pm and it was pouring rain. His phone rang, he said it was his manager. After a 2 second phone call all he said was "ok", and hung up. He said John told him to come to the field. I was like, "What, it's 11pm in the pouring rain, why didn't he talk to you after the game?" He said he didnt know and his mood went from thrilled to quiet and concerned.
The apartment was way out of the way so he told me I had to come. I told him I would stay in the car, because that would just be wierd. The ride there I was trying to be calm for him, as he was not saying much and seemed worried. I just kept telling him how great he just did at the game and how great his whole season was so far and I was sure it was nothing bad. He was concered some guys were released previously in the weeks before and you just never know with baseball. He continued to say he had no idea, while I was still saying how crazy it was to go all the way back so late. I was trying to stay positive, but the more concerned and quiet he became I got more worried. I started to text my mom and tell her what was going on and how wierd it was. She said she was sure there was nothing to worry about and he has been doing well.
When we got to the field, he went inside and I sat in the car continuing to text my mom. After 15 minutes or so, a guy came to the car and knocked on the window. When I opened it he said Ruben wanted to see me. I asked what was going on and he said he saw him talking to John, the manager in his office and walked out of the clubhouse very upset and told him to go get me. I thought it was wierd and I instantly got very worried in my stomache. He gave me an umbrella and walked me into the players clubhouse. We walked thru it and onto the stadium main deck. Once we started to walk to the dugout, I got very confused. We get down near it and Ruben is sitting in the dugout. He leaves us alone and I looked at Ruben and he looked so upset.
I asked him what was going on. He stood up and with emotion in his voice, said that he got released. He went on to say how there were veteran issues, they are bringing another guy in and explained what they said. I was so confused. I told him it was crazy and there is no possible way after the season thus far he had, how just a few hours ago he did amazing and everyone told him so. I just went on and on. I could not believe it. However, by the 4th or so time he said he was serious, I just stopped and started to cry for him. I did not know what to do or so. I just stood there. He started to walk up the few steps onto the field as I am still standing there and said he wanted me to walk with him. I was like, "Walk with you? What do you mean walk with you? Why do you want to walk? Hunny lets go inside and go home and talk about it." I was thinking he was crazy. He said he wanted to walk around the field and think before we left especially if it was his last time there. In silence I just followed him as my mind is racing. Still at this point I was thinking I was in a twilight zone with no idea what was to come.
However, once we start to get near the pitchers mound he turns around and his face is no longer heartbreaking. He gets on his knee, pulls out a black box out of the glove that I never even noticed he had in his hand. The field lights are on, and he says "Autumn I love you and the girls so much, I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Will you Marry me?" I dropped the umbrella and started to cry again! I was shocked! He kept talking and I was so surprised I wasnt even hearing him, I just stared at the ring and kept looking at him. I turned around and there were guys and people and field staff all up on the deck. A song, Unchained Melody, started to play on the speakers.
He got up and as im crying I asked him if my mom knew, he said yes, then I remembered all of what just happened and I asked, "do you still have a job?", he laughed then at the same time I just said "put it on, put it on!"
After that we walked back up the the deck and everyone said congrats and asked me if I really thought he got released. I just laughed and and kept looking at him like what the heck! Im gonna get you!
I was so excited, I instantly called my mom who had known for awhile and couldnt wait until everyone else woke up the next morning!
He did a great job! I will never forget that night. This is why I love the baseball Diamond even more! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment