Monday, July 16, 2012

The heartbreak of an injury

A few weeks ago Brew's elbow starting really hurting. He went out and threw and was so painful he couldn't take it anymore so told the trainer. They evaluated it for a few days then finally put him on the DL. He was on the DL for a week while getting treatments daily until he went to the doctor. The team doctor didn't think anything was torn but gave him several anti-inflammatory pills and suggested to continue the treatments of hot/cold, and numerous other things. He also told him to stop throwing his curve ball. Umm...how do you tell a pitcher with a great curve ball to stop throwing it?! He also suggested increasing his forearm strength. Meanwhile, he was waiting to hear back from the doctor in Boston.
So another week goes by, which at this point he cant even lift weights. and hurts to even lift his baseball bag. The doctor in Boston got back to the team and said to only do cold treatments for now and no longer hot. At this point, it has been a few weeks and my husband has not been on the mound since June 30 th. It has been an incredibly discouraging and upsetting past few weeks for the both of us. All he wants to do is play. Usually if hes ever had a sore arm which is normal after several innings its better within 2 days or by the next time is pitches, but this time nothing has gotten better and its been over two weeks. I understand the team needs to assess the injuries very slowly and try to rehab them before they go into any further tests, MRI's, etc, it just makes things very frustrating when I see him in this position. All I can think about is it is the last 8 weeks of the season now, and I just keep praying for my husbands sake he gets to be on the mound before its over. 
He has done so well this year so far, it would break my whole heart if this is how it ends for him. Right now a lot of possibilities could be presented. He could get magically better, they could send him to Florida to rehab the rest of the season, they could send him to Florida to rehab the rest of the season and during the off season until its better which just makes me cry thinking about him being gone any longer than September, or they could keep him there on the DL and hopefully god answers our prayers and his elbow heals and he can play again in the next 8 weeks at some point. We just don't know what is wrong and I am hoping the Red Sox do something further other than doing treatment's on it and icing it before its too late. Hearing him on the phone and how upset he is over not being able to play...nothing hurts more than that. Of course I'm dying for him to be home and I'm endlessly counting down  the days until the off season, but I just have to remind myself that my husband gets to live out his dream and work towards his higher dreams every day, he is a role model for so many little boys who want  to be just like him, he gets paid to do his favorite thing in the world. How many people can say that? I feel selfish when I cry to him and I tell him how much I want him home, of course I want him to feel wanted, but I never intend to make him feel like he is wasting time away from his family. Baseball has a deadline, lets face it. Its something all ball players Minors or Majors deal with, unless your one of the very few who make millions and millions. So to sacrifice a few more years to let him live his dream and play his passion, I'd do it over and over again for him any day of the week until it starts directly affecting our marriage or our family. Sometimes lately I don't always have the right words to tell him, and at times nothing I say or anyone else says helps. I get that...all he has ever known in his whole life, is baseball. That's it. So I get he is scared and worried. He is an amazing man with worth ethic and determination that is out of this world. Sometimes I feel like he is wanting me to tell him to quit, to make his decision for him. I won't do that. I did tell him that if he can tell me his heart is truly still in it and he still has passion for it then he needs to stay and if not than whats this all really worth anyway and to come home and take some time to figure out what his heart wants to do in his next chapter in life. Of course, his heart is still in it. So he continues this dream, I just keep reminding him that he has something special or he wouldn't keep getting signed. This past off season when the Red Sox signed him after we already turned them down two years prior to go with the Brewers, I told him it was a sign. Who says no to the Red Sox...Twice?! Clearly, they see something in you and your arm or they wouldn't ask again especially knowing your getting older. Now, are they a tough organization and do they have some guys not moving up for years and years, yes, but to us, it was a chance for him to keep playing. Playing is all that matters to him. 
So for now, I have my bad nights and he has his, and this season has worn on us, and we are both ready for September....but I pray every night that he makes his healthy return to the mound before this seasons over, even if its the last day of the season. He deserves it. This is something that happens to players every day, I get its normal, but it really bothers me when people start asking me why he doesn't just come home. I believe  in my husband and I believe in his talent and I will keep my faith alive for him until he on his own decides to put his glove down and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment